I just got back from Build 2018, Microsoft's annual developer-focused conference. So there's no surprise that there were loads of announcements and new releases timed with the conference. But I wanted to make sure that the Build announcements didn't edge out all the Java, Android and iOS news this week; so this week there's a special section for news from Build.
- Who controls glibc?
The maintainers of glibc removes an abortion joke from the technical documentation; Richard Stallman objects, putting the autonomy of the project in question.
- Git-xltrail: An open-source Git command-line extension for Excel files
An open source extension to Git that configures a diff utility for Excel workbooks and the VBA code that lives inside them.
- GitKraken Glo Boards
GitKraken introduces Glo Boards, which allow for a Kanban-style board experience in GitKraken, Atom and Visual Studio Code.
- Git Credential Manager with Windows Subsystem for Linux
Git Credential Manager manages your Git hosting provider credentials on Windows; you can also set it up from the Windows Subsystem for Linux so that it can use the same credentials.
- Version 6 of Angular Now Available
A major update to Angular - especially its toolchain and engineering systems. The framework packages (core, common, compiler, etc) will be versioned together moving forward.
- “Use the dynamic tracing tools, Luke”
An introduction to SystemTap, a Dynamic instrumentation tool, that traces and instruments software to provide a more complete understanding of what the code is actually doing.
News from Build 2018
- DevOps with VSTS: Build 2018 Recap VSTS
- Introducing ML.NET: Proven and Open Source Machine Learning Framework AI/ML
- Visual Studio for Mac version 7.5 and beyond VisualStudio
- Hyper-V Android emulator support Android
- Microsoft and GitHub Present: A Solution for Mobile CI Mobile CI/CD
- Introducing extended line endings support in Notepad Editors
- The gmaster Git Client introduces a traditional Git branch diagram Git
- Please Help Make the Science of DevOps Even Better! DevOps
- beets: our solution for the hell that is filename encoding, such as it is. Filesystems
- Google I/O 2018: What’s new in Android Android
- Android Studio 3.2 Canary Android
- Stack Overflow for Teams is Now Available Community
- GNU Wget 1.19.5 released GNU HTTP
- YourKit Java Profiler 2018.04 Java
- Team Foundation Server 2018 Update 2 is now available ALM
- Google: Introducing ML Kit AI/ML
- IntelliJ IDEA 2018.1.3 is released! Java IntelliJ
- .NET Rocks: Announcing .NET Core 3 with Scott Hunter
Scott Hunter announces .NET Core 3, the next version that includes versions of WinForms and WPF for .NET Core.
- Talk Python: Django 2.0
Django 2.0 drops "legacy Python" support and moves fully to Python 3.x; it adds a lot of new features in the process.
- Rocket: Git Champions
Lori Lamkin and Edward Thomson talk about Visual Studio Team Services, Git, and Microsoft's One Engineering System.